Friday, December 19, 2008

Are you Irish?

Many of you know that I have a talent--some don't think it is a talent-for impersonating the accents of other countrymen.  I thought that after a year of living in Australia I would have been able to perfect my Aussie accent, which really sounds more Indian and sometimes British on a good day.  Well, Damon and I just got back from the grocery store and I stepped up to the deli counter and had this conversation with the women next to me:

Me:  Can I have one slice of Watsonian cheddar? (Yes, I seriously ordered one slice of cheese)
The woman beside me:  Are you Irish?
Me:  Excuse me?
The woman beside me:  Are you Irish?  You sounded Irish when you just asked for the cheese.
Me:  Ummmm...no, just plain American but I wish I was Irish.
In my head I was thinking:  Sweet, I have now added an Irish accent to my repertoire.  



2 comments:

Rachel said...

I'm sure you'll sound like an Aussie to us. But that's funny that you were mistaken for Irish.
Rachel

D's Mom said...

I want to hear your Aussie accent when you get back. :)