Monday, April 7, 2008

A Bachelors Degree isn't what it used to be

Did you think when you donned the square hat and the black robes and walked across that stage $60,000 poorer a great job was on the horizon?  I know I did.  Well after two months of tireless searching, I sit writing this blog with not a job in sight.  Looking back on the last couple months I would like to share with you the best of "Damon looking for a job" in no particular order.

S - Store
D - Damon

Where:  Woolworths - a local supermarket.  
What: Stocking shelves at night
Reason:  S: I'm sorry we have had more qualified applicants apply so we cannot short list you for this job, not once, not twice but three times!  
Comment: More qualified?  I didn't even make the short list?  We don't shop there anymore.

Where: Local coffee shop/sandwich shop
What: Sandwich maker
Reason: S:Do you have any experience?  D:Umm...I make sandwiches at home.  S:I'm sorry mate I need someone with experience, I don't want to have to babysit you.
Comment: Babysit?  Really?

Where: Dry cleaner
What: Cash register
Reason:  S:We are looking for a woman.  
Comment: Oh, so that sign on the door that says we don't discriminate is just decorative?

Where: Call center
What: Answering phones
Reason: S:We need someone with two years experience in a call center.  D:I have that.  S:Sorry mate we are looking for more experience.  
Comment: So what you meant to say was three years?

Where: Apple Store
What: Selling Apple Products
Reason: S:What do you primarily use your mac for?  D:Since I am a student now, I primarily use it for word processing and internet research.  S:I'm sorry we are looking for someone with more Mac knowledge.  Thanks for your time.  D:How do you know what I know?  I just answered your question.  You didn't ask me what I know about Macs?  S:Sorry we are looking for someone with more Mac knowledge.
Comment: Maybe I should have put on my resume that Amy is a member of the Facebook club "My Husband Loves His Mac More Than Me" created by Kelly Barneche.

Where: Gelato Shop
What: Dishing up Gelato
Reason:  D: Are you guys hiring?  S: Sorry "Champion" we don't need any help.
Comment:  At least he thinks I am a champion

It isn't all bleak.  I just had my second interview, that's right second interview, with Cole's, another supermarket, to stock produce.  This is the final step in a three week process where I had to take an aptitude/SAT/psychological test.  I passed with a 92% and so far so good on my reference and background check.  Maybe I will know something more next week.

I hope you had a bit of a laugh with me.  God is good and he will find me the right job.  So, no worries!


8 comments:

Kelly T said...

This is unbelievable!! Ben's comment was, "I guess the job market's more competitive there." I guess so!! We'll be praying for your job hunt; thanks for the good laughs!

OK Chick said...

How about a bookstore?
Good luck on the job hunt Damon!

Campbell Family said...

Job hunting can be so demoralizing. Glad you are able to find the humor in your situation! We will be praying for you to find the right job soon. -- Laura

Anonymous said...

Man oh man. How frustrating! What you write is amusing though. :)

mark, charity, freedom, & courage said...

Damon and Amy, I was so excited to see you guys' blog. Way to go! I laughed about the shopping cart story. Sorry that we've been missing Damon's calls. Love you guys!

Nicole Whaley said...

Ouch - this sounds like a perfect recipe for major culture shock. And the "mates" and "champions" probably just add to the insult!!! I believe you are fully qualified for any of those jobs.
I hope that soon the job search will be over. Sorry for the struggles but hope you can keep your humor in it.-- nicole

Anonymous said...

Ouch... at least you got a laugh from some of it.. just remember that the 'mates' and 'champions' are just the Aussie way of addressing you! Go go Coles!

Anonymous said...

Friggin' Aussies with their nicknames! Just start calling everyone "roo"...