Saturday, June 21, 2008

48 Hours in Canberra

We spent last weekend in Canberra, the capital city of Australia.  Canberra is a unique city in Australia because it is an entirely planned city which means that a long time ago when Australians were deciding what city would be their capital they couldn't agree on Sydney or Melbourne so they built an entire new city in the middle of Sydney and Melbourne--Canberra.  

We went to Canberra with our friends Mark and Claire.  They were headed there to celebrate the 21st birthday of Lydia, Claire's sister.  Lydia was devastated when Damon told her Canberra was designed by an American architect.  Don't worry Lydia, I am sure he was really an Aussie at heart!  We enjoyed spending time with Claire's family, worshipping with the church there and seeing the sights of this nation's capital.  Here are a few highlights from our trip.


Parliament House

Claire, myself and Lydia in the House of Representatives.

Posing at the Parliament

Australian War Memorial

VERY large sheep on the side of the road--I don't know why.

5 comments:

Sarah said...

You see a sheep THAT big on the side of the road, you just thank your lucky stars and take a picture. "Why" is besides the point. :-)

Anonymous said...

Wow. That sheep is super cool. I'm awed into silence.

Anonymous said...

That is no sheep! It is a pyschohosebeast from hell!!

Heather said...

Hey Amy!! I just saw your comment on my blog..thanks!! I'm glad we're catching up thru the blog-world...and I love all of your cool pictures!

Beth said...

Hi guys! I found you during some blog surfing this morning and was surprised to see you are in Australia! Just reading your recent posts brought back floods of memories. You live in a GREAT place. I'm glad to see you're doing well! Congrats, Damon, on your graduation! - Beth (Brophy) McKee